Home

Chasewater History

The following chronology attempts to integrate the social and industrial history of the area with the natural history records, which are in green. The more colourful descriptions of the area are in red.
 

1500’s Large areas of heath flank either side of ‘Canke Wood’.
1600’s Extensive felling of ‘Canke Wood’ creates heathland from south of Stafford to Sutton Park.
Early
1700’s
The first coal workings are in the Birch Coppice and Slough areas of Brownhills. The coals are mined using Bell pits, where men are lowered to the workings by man powered windlass and later by horse powered gin.
1730 The Shrewsbury Coach is robbed by a gang at Brownhills, six men and three women are charged with the offence.
1751 The "Shrewsbury Caravan" is held up by a highwayman in Brownhills.
1775 Yates’ map shows the area to be very much still part of Cannock Chase. Biddulph’s Pool is present.
1790’s Large open fields with ‘ridge and furrow’ are developed on the heath as an effort to maximise food production during the early stages of the Napoleonic Wars (1793 –1815). (These are still discernible on the north shore).
1794 An Act of Parliament was passed to enable the Wyrley and Essington Canal Co. to extend its existing Cannock to Wolverhampton branch. Powers were given to demolish any buildings and cut through and damage any land on its proposed route.
1794-97 Gangs of 'navigators' cut the ‘contour’ canal from Birchhills, through Goscote, Pelsall, Catshill, Brownhills and Ogley Hay. It passes through a series of 8 locks along a gradient of 50 feet, and then on to Huddlesford Junction near Lichfield, where it joins the Coventry Canal System and gives access to the ports of Hull and Liverpool.
1795 The Act insists that the Wyrley & Essington Canal Co. must provide a water source to keep the canal topped up. It is first suggested to create a reservoir by flooding the Crane Brook valley between Shireoaks and Muckley Corner but the Lichfield to Walsall Turnpike road runs through this area of farmland. Approaches are made to Henry William, Earl of Uxbridge, Baron Paget, Phineus Hussey and Richard Gilbert for permission to use their lands between Norton and the Watling Street. The ancient Coventry Road runs through this area but it is almost deserted in favour of the Chester Road and a track crosses the Crane Brook at Norton Footbridge. Agreements are quickly reached as the Lords are offered 3/6p per acre rent per annum, which is very good for an area of unenclosed open fields and barren bog. A total area of 156 acres is rented.
1796 Work begins on the reservoir. The Crane brook is diverted away from the area and a team of 'navies' dig out the floor of the reservoir and use the excavations to build earthen-work dams at the eastern and western edges. The Crane Brook, flowing towards the Tame, is dammed by the eastern embankment and the western embankment dams a stream flowing west into the Penk system. The deepest part of the reservoir is 35 feet near to the eastern end of the reservoir. A feeder channel is also cut through from the eastern dam to the top of the locks at Ogley Hay, passing through Knaves Castle.
1797 The canal is opened on 8th May but soon closes due to a lack of water. The Ogley lock system uses 25,000 gallons of water each time a boat passes through and are now dry. The Company is under extreme pressure to open the canal again so the Crane Brook is re-diverted to fill the reservoir. The reservoir soon fills and the accumulated water is fed into the canal system.
1799 In June, the eastern dam bursts, sending millions of gallons of water down the valley towards Shenstone. Roads and bridges are washed away, fields are flooded and livestock drowned. The canal company pays compensation to all who have suffered loses, and immediately sets about rebuilding the dam. It is decided the new dam will be thicker and wider and the inner walls will be lined with limestone.
1800 In January, the canal company recruit as many men as are needed to make sure the reservoir is opened as quickly as possible. By March the dam is rebuilt and the reservoir refilled. As a safeguard against further damage to the dam the company builds a watch house and employs a full time watchman to inspect the dam and report any defects. The first watchman is William Wall who pays the company £2 per year to rent the house and gardens.
1801 Lesser Skullcap is recorded and there are unconfirmed reports of Marsh Clubmoss and Bog Orchid at Norton Bog.
1806 John Cary’s New Map of Staffordshire dated 1806 (but probably surveyed at least five years earlier) shows two pools, perhaps reflecting the situation immediately after the collapse of the dam (in 1799) since the eastern pool appears to occupy the area of the Anglesey Basin
1818 A Plan of the Reservoir and Feeder on Cannock Chase is published showing its appearance prior to mining and subsidence. The western shore is named Holly Bank, the north shore is Middle Bank and south of the western dam is Hawthorn Tree Bank
1834 White’s Directory refers to grouse and partridges being abundant in the Ogley Hay area. The grouse are presumably Black Grouse since they are common on Cannock Chase with a record British bag of 252 being taken in about 1860
1840 The Wyrley & Essington company amalgamates with the Birmingham Canal Navigations. The BCN had previously had to pay to top up their canals with water from the reservoir. (The boundary posts of the BCN can still be found around Chasewater and Anglesey basin).
1842 Robert Garner in Natural History of the County of Stafford refers to ‘Great numbers of Arctic Terns visited north and south Staffordshire in May.’ (Although there was no direct reference to Norton Pool)
1844 Garner refers to ‘The fine pool near Norton, on Cannock Chase, is one mile long, by three quarters broad.’
1847 The Marquis of Anglesey plans to open his pits near to the reservoir and conducts a survey to see if the channel can be made navigable, in order to transport his coal. The branch will be 1.5 miles long from the reservoir to Ogley locks.
1848 Work starts on the Anglesey Branch. Most of the cost is met by the South Staffs Railway due to the terms of the Railways Act of Parliament.
1849 In December, the Marquis or Hammerwich Pit is opened by the Marquis of Anglesey. The pit is later known as the Cannock Chase No. 1
1850 The Anglesey Branch is opened. Built by the Birmingham Canal Navigation Company at a cost of £6,000. The valve house is built on the dam.
1850's The Cathedral pit is opened. It serves as the main pumping pit for the other collieries on Brownhills Common. Tunnels connect this pit to the others and the water is pumped out into Norton Pool
1852 No. 2 Pit opens at a cost of £20,000; it is known as ‘The Uxbridge’ and will later be known as ‘The Fly Pit’.
1853 J.R.McLean is commissioned by the Marquis of Anglesey to engineer a line between his Hammerwich pit at the foot of Chasewater dam, and the Uxbridge pit in Chasetown. These pits will later be known as Cannock Chase Collieries No 1 & 2. The line will also connect to the Cannock pits and to the South Staffs Railway
1854 The Hammerwich and Uxbridge Pits are leased by John Robinson McLean and Richard Croft Chawner.
1855 No. 3 and No. 4 Pits have been sunk.
1856 No 1 pit is closed due to a cross fault letting large quantities of loose bunter and pebbles into the workings. Hammerwich (east of the dam) is granted an Enclosure Award.
1857 The total output of Cannock Chase Coalfield is half a million tons per year.
1858 The Cannock Chase Railway is opened from Anglesey Wharf to ‘The Uxbridge Pit’.
1859 The Cannock Chase Colliery Company is formed by McLean and Chawner.
1860 No 3 Pit ‘The Plant’ is opened.
1861 Burntwood and Longdon (the north shore) is granted an Enclosure Award.
1864 A beer retailer trades at Biddulph’s Pool.
1865 St. Anne’s Church is founded by J.R. McLean.
1867 The settlement around the Uxbridge Pit is named Chasetown; it had previously just been known as Cannock Chase.
1868 Norton Canes (the western shore) is granted an Enclosure Award.
1870 1,567 men are employed by the Cannock Chase Colliery Co.
1871 The Cannock Chase & Wolverhampton Railway (CC & WR) build a line (now used by the Chasewater Light Railway). It links The Plant and Uxbridge Pits to the Midland Railway and the London & North Western Railways in Brownhills. The building involves major earthworks to enable the railway to cross the valley of the Crane Brook at the northern end of Norton Pool.
1872 2,105 men are employed by Cannock Chase Colliery Company.
1878 Highfield House is built.
1883 The 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey map refers to ‘Cannock Chase Reservoir’ and shows the Pumping Station and ‘Bleak House’ on the dam and Jack’s Wood (not named). It also shows a rifle range used by the South Staffs and North Staffs Regiments. It ranges from near Highfield House to the 70 feet high target board on the south shore (where the crazy golf is now) and over the lake to a mound at Target Point.  The Uxbridge Pit uses electric lights and surplus power is used to light St. Anne’s Church; the first church in England to have electric light.
1887 Deergrass is recorded at Norton Bog and is said to have been abundant before the development of coal-mining.
1890 Charles G. Harper writes in his book The Holyhead Road (published in 1902) a vivid description of the area immediately south of Norton Pool: "We have reached that abomination of desolation called Brownhills. Words are ineffectually employed to describe the hateful, blighted scene, but imagine a wide and dreary stretch of common land surrounded by the scattered, dirty and decrepit cottages of the semi-savage population of nail makers and pitmen, with here and there a school, a woe-begone chapel, a tin tabernacle, and a plentiful sprinkling of public houses. Further imagine the grass of this wide spreading common to be as brown, and innutritious as it is possible for grass to be, and with an extra-ordinary wealth of scrap iron, tin clippings, broken glass, and brick-bats deposited over every square yard, and all around it the ghastly refuse heaps of long abandoned mines. Finally clap a railway embankment and station midway across the common, and there you have a dim adumbration of what Brownhills is like."
1896 A Great Skua is shot in September or October and two Bearded Tits are shot at Chasetown in the winter.
1897 An adult male Ruff is shot on July 10th.  The Midland Sailing Club sails on Norton Pool until the turn of the century.  A Yacht Pavilion is built (near the site of the present Sailing Club).
1898 A local publican launches a steam-boat and makes a few unprofitable pleasure cruises until the boat is left in the pool until it disintegrates.
1890's Continual subsidence leads to the Birmingham Canal Company taking action to prevent the inundation of Norton by building an embankment that extends north from the western dam until it reaches the railway embankment.  Slag from the Black Country is brought by light railway and shipped across the pool in a cutter.
1900's The new western embankment allows the weir to be raised during the early 1900’s to enlarge the holding capacity.  This, plus subsidence, creates Jeffrey’s Swag on the north side of the railway which now effectively runs over a causeway that has to be regularly strengthened as the water movement has the effect of washing it away. The colliery company uses side-tipping "Jubilee" wagons loaded with excavated colliery shale to carry out this operation. Plant Swag is formed around this time.
1901 Floating Clubrush is recorded for Norton Bog.
1904 A Turnstone is shot in August.
1906 A White-fronted Goose is shot near Chasetown on October 11th, which F.Coburn thinks may have been a Lesser White-fronted Goose.
1907 G.H.Clarke shoots one of two Jack Snipe at Plant Swag on July 20th and two days later finds a downy youngster from the same place that differs from the skins of Common Snipe. (Not quite conclusive evidence of the only breeding record of Jack Snipe in Britain). A Turnstone is shot in August.
1908 A probable Brent Goose is seen in January. A juvenile Turnstone and Sanderling are shot in August and six Whimbrel are seen one day in September. Several Grey Plovers are shot by G.H.Clarke in September 1907, October 1908 and in 1909.
1909 Four Little Terns on June 6th and a report of three Sandwich Terns and an Oystercatcher in September. A Pomarine Skua is shot ‘prior to 1910’ and mounted for use as a lady’s hat! A Wryneck is shot at Chasetown a few years prior to 1909 as is a Grey Phalarope.
1910 Five Brent Geese are seen on February 4th. A Pink-footed Goose is shot at Norton Pool and Snow Buntings and Crossbills are said to have been shot in the Chasetown district prior to this time.
1911 A Little Gull is shot ‘near Chasetown’ on December 2nd.
1918 Floating Water-plantain is ‘abundant and flowering.’
1921 Very low levels are recorded.
1922 Electricity from the Cannock Chase Colliery Co. powers Chasetown, Chase Terrace and Boney Hay.
1925 Floating Water-plantain is recorded as ‘plentiful in shallow water at Norton Bog.’
1927 No 9 Pit closes as a drawing pit but an underground drift is built linking the pit to No 8, then No 3 and on to emerge at Anglesey Wharf (a total of 4.5 miles). Coal needing screening goes to the Plant Pit (No 3).
1940 The Fly Pit closes.
1947 Nationalisation of the coal industry. Pits 3, 7, 8 and 9 are still operative.
1948 An article on ‘Cannock Reservoir’ appears in the Annual Report of the West Midland Bird Club: "The water, which has an area of about 210 acres, lies at the foot of Cannock Chase in the midst of the South Staffordshire mining district. There is an attractive area each of sandy beach, gravel, marsh and mud around the flat and easily flooded shores, which provide suitable feeding-grounds for several different species of bird. Along the north shore grow a few stunted bushes, and in the immediate vicinity is an extensive area of heathland.  Old records, dating from 1907-10, give an attractive list of rarities, many of which, the late F. Coburn stated, occurred there regularly. It was with ever-increasing pleasure, therefore, that we found as the year advanced that most of these species were still visiting the pool.  The chief attraction of this reservoir lies in the facility with which migration may be observed actually in progress. Many of the waders recorded were seen arriving or departing; many did not stay, while on May 21st, Messrs. Norris, Lambourne, and the writer (G.W.Rayner) watched a flock of seventeen Common Sandpipers flying over and around the reservoir. This species is rarely recorded in flocks of quite this size. No less than eighteen species of wader were recorded during the year and eleven kinds were seen on one visit in May. Common, Arctic, and Black Terns were observed on both passages. As winter came on a few Twite appeared and a flock of nine was resident from December. A single Snow-Bunting stayed throughout December. In November, two Eider Ducks were present, and in December, a duck Red-crested Pochard. Other notable records are : Great Northern Diver, Slavonian Grebe, Shag and Merlin, the latter being recorded on one or two occasions. Perhaps the most interesting bird was the Lapland Bunting which appeared for four days in early December.  Cannock Reservoir, known also as Norton Pool, lies within easy reach of Birmingham and Wolverhampton and should prove a popular resort for week-end bird-watchers at all times of the year."
1949 A Slavonian Grebe on March 10th.
1950 Temminck’s Stint on May 11th, an adult Dotterel on August 24th and 32 Northern Pintails on December 20th.
1951 A Black-throated Diver in December.
1952 A Jack Snipe on July 27th and a Leach’s Petrel on October 29th.
1953 A Red Kite passes over on August 4th.
1954 The Ogley Locks in Brownhills are closed to traffic. An article in the West Midland Bird Club Report by M.J. Rogers records bird sightings and compares records to those of the early 1900’s. It refers to the pool’s exceptionally clear waters and to at least two pairs of Redshanks nesting. The first ever record of Little Ringed Plover is in May and there are 14 Curlew Sandpipers on August 22nd.
1956 2 Velvet Scoters on 18th and 19th February and 45 White-fronted Geese on March 4th.  Sailing is revived when the Chase Sailing Club is formed. Within two years the Club has 500 members and 250 boats.  Brownhills Urban District Council purchases Norton Pool from the British Transport Commission for £5,600, which is for a total area of 272 acres and 2 cottages. The land on the eastern side of the lake (170 acres) is leased from NCB at a rental of less than £1 per acre.  Upon the suggestion of Councillor Waine, and the distain of the people of Norton, the lake’s name is changed to Chasewater and at the official opening in May Councillor H.V. Fereday, chairman of Brownhills Council, says: ‘It may indeed seem bleak and dreary at present but I want you in your imagination to travel forward with me to a time when the bleakness and barreness will have disappeared under a scheme of ordered development and beautification.’
1957 A year of drought with water levels the lowest since 1921. Record counts of 80 Great Ringed Plovers in August, 17 Little Stints, 13 Red Knots and a Common Raven in September and 11 Greater Scaups and 350 Common Pochards in December.  Brownhills UDC enters into a 99 year lease with NCB for 128 acres on the eastern and northern shores
1958 Despite a petition of 3,400 against the scheme, a seven days a week funfair is agreed for the south shore.
1959 Development plan for Chasewater includes the south shore pleasure precinct, a golf course and pitch and putt course in the south and groups of chalets in a landscaped setting on the west shore.  The restaurant, fun-fair and Speedboat Club are opened.  Birmingham Underwater Exploration Club plan to make an underwater chart of the lake.  The Plant Pit closes.  The West Midland District of the Railway Preservation Society is formed.
1960

The 1:10560 map shows the end of the mining era and the birth of leisure development. The high water-levels of 1960 are shown, including the pool to the west of Norton East Road that was later infilled. Although the Plant Pit had just closed, the slurry beds were still being used to wash coal from No. 8 Pit.

Click on map to ENLARGE and see detail
1960 A Black-throated Diver is present from May to September.  Chasewater Kart Racing Club moves to Chasewater. A control tower is built for the speedboats.
1961 Work starts on the Pier, Lighthouse and Castle.  No 8 Pit closes and it’s the end of rail traffic over the Causeway which falls into a state of serious disrepair
1962 The Pier, Lighthouse and Castle are opened.  The last rail to boat coal transfer at Anglesey Wharf.  Sailing Centre opens in July.  The Birds of Staffordshire by J. Lord and A.R.M.Blake is published by the West Midland Bird Club. There are many references to ‘Cannock Reservoir’.
1964 Aldridge-Brownhills Urban District Council continues to develop the park. In December a 25-year lease is signed by the Railway Preservation Society for part of the former 1881 mineral railway trackbed.
1966 7 Common Eiders on October 15th.
1967 The last coal carrying barge from Anglesey Basin.  Where to Watch Birds by John Gooders refers to Cannock Reservoir as ‘Set in an industrial landscape of slag heaps and desolate waste ground. Even its regular species which are mainly numbers of diving duck, do not hold much excitement.’ It does, however, mention ‘oddities’ like Snow Buntings.  A Hoopoe on November 18th.
1968-72 The small fields and ponds between the western embankment and railway are scraped bare prior to infill with power station ash enriched with a layer of processed sewage. Little Ringed Plovers breed for the first time on this area in 1968.
1969 20 Common Scoters on May 5th.
1970 The Chasewater Project Report is prepared for the Chasewater Technical Panel. It proposes a range of sporting and recreational facilities over the whole area at an estimated cost of £336,669. A Trotting Track and stadium is built on the south-eastern heath.  The start of the reclamation of the north shore pit waste areas known as the Seven Hills.
1971 West Midland Bird Club Report has an article about Cannock Reservoir by Rob Hume.  A Least Sandpiper and Dotterel in August, Cory’s Shearwater in October and Little Auk in November are the highlights of a special autumn.  Jeffrey’s Swag is used by Powerboats.
1972 The Flora of Staffordshire by Edees is published; it has several old records for the Chasewater/Norton Bog area but there is no mention of any recent records of rare plants.27 Jack Snipe on October 29th
1973 Staffordshire’s second ever Mediterranean Gull on May 5th.     A Red-footed Falcon from May 28th to June 6th, 7 Arctic Skuas on August 21st, a Caspian Tern on October 14th, a Lapland Longspur on November 3rd and a male Lesser Kestrel the following day. (A review of this record 25 years later found it not acceptable).
1974 A Hoopoe and Rough-legged Buzzard on November 2nd.  In February, Ronald Milhench crashes his car into Chasewater, killing his wife, having recently doubled the insurance on her life to £40,000.  He was later jailed for three years for forging Harold Wilson's signature to help pull off a deal.
1975 Anglesey Basin reclamation (refuse tipping followed by a golf course) is halted when the Nature Conservancy Council are informed of the site’s ecological importance (particularly the Sphagnum bog with many Round-leaved Sundews).  Common Stonechats nest.
1976 A hot, dry summer reduces water reserves by 76.8% (187M gallons remaining out of a capacity of 800M gallons) and devastating fires destroy most of the north shore heathland.  A Kentish Plover on April 28th, Wryneck on August 29th, Great Bittern from September 13th to December 4th, White-winged Black Tern from September 27th to October 4th and 13 Snow Buntings on October 17th.
1977 200 Twite on November 25th.
1978 A Buff-breasted Sandpiper on September 14th.
1979 European Nightjar is flushed off the dam on May 31st.
1980 Four Glaucous Gulls regularly roost during January and February.
1982 Poor state of the Causeway forces The Railway Preservation Society to lift the track and close passenger traffic until 1986.  The Plant Pit slurry beds are re-excavated for use at Rugeley Power Station.  Slurry Pool is created.
1983 Fifty acres of the Fly Pit area are landscaped, funded by a 100% Derelict Land Grant (£300,000).  Chasetown Football Club relocates to land adjacent to Jack’s Wood.  A Little Auk on February 12th, 520 Arctic Terns on May 2nd and Whinchats breed for the last time
1984 Chasewater Master Plan and Development Strategy is published.  For the first time the nature conservation value is recognised and the northern end of the lake is proposed as a nature reserve. A seven year investment programme is proposed at a total cost of £26.2 M.  Leisure & Recreation Consultants state:  One’s first impression of Chasewater is of a vast, relatively unused stretch of open water set in a desolate landscape of spoil heaps, electricity pylons, low-income housing, and a rag bag of assorted recreation facilities that bear little relationship to each other.  The scheme is put on hold due to the proposed M6 Relief Motorway.   Four of the nine route options would badly affect the south shore.  Four Iceland Gulls roost from February 8th-10th.  27 Little Gulls on May 1st.
1985 Staffordshire Nature Conservation Trust reply to development proposals; in particular it recommends that the Slurry Pool be included in the proposed Local Nature Reserve.  Pomarine Skua on November 10th and another on 18th and 19th. The Chasewater Light Railway & Museum Company is formed by merging the former Preservation Society and operating Company.
1986 Biddulph’s Pool and No Man’s Bank are notified as a Site of Special Scientific Interest by the Nature Conservancy Council.
1987 Chasewater Heaths S.S.S.I. is notified by the Nature Conservancy Council for the wet and dry heathland communities and valley mires.  The Great Gale on October 16th produces a Grey Phalarope, Pomarine Skua and an unconfirmed Sabines Gull.   A Lapland Longspur on October 29th.
1988 Water levels are down by 3.75 m.  70 Kittiwakes on March 17th.  Up to 44 Ringed Plovers, 5 Little Stints, 122 Dunlin and a Grey Phalarope during the autumn.
1989 Low water levels.  Avocet on April 17th, up to 85 Dunlin, 37 Ringed Plovers and 10 Sanderlings in May, Fulmar on August 25th, European Storm-petrel on October 29th and a Leach’s Storm-petrel is found dead on December 24th.
1990 89 Black Terns on May 2nd, 25 Sanderlings on June 1st and a Horned Lark on October 28th.
1991 County Structure Plan proposes a Country Park at Chasewater.  Operations start at Bleak House opencast mine.  A Pomarine Skua on October 21st and 195 Dunlins in November.
1992 The last record of Turtle Dove.
1993 Coal extraction starts at Bleak House.  The C. L. R & M Co. strengthen the Causeway with 120,000 tons of fill material.  29 Sandwich Terns on August 22nd.
1994 Lichfield District Council become responsible for overall site management.  5 Great Skuas, one Arctic Skua and a very likely Long-tailed Skua on September 14th.
1995 Chasewater Wildlife Group is formed to combat the threat of infill to the Slurry Pool.  Norton Lakeside Station is opened in December.
1996 Chasewater Programme for Action sets out long term aims for development (refers to one million people living within 20 minutes of Chasewater).  There are plans for a coal recovery scheme at Norton Bog.  Two Arctic Redpolls and up to 100 Common (Mealy) Redpolls in March, a Horned Lark from December 14th till end of the year and 77 Goosanders in December.
1997 Horned Lark stays till March 16th.  Unconfirmed report of Sabine’s Gull in September.  An extension to Bleak House is not granted.
1998 Chasewater is declared a Country Park in October.  The Stadium is demolished.   6 Pale-bellied Brent Geese on October 11th, 144 Cormorants on November 7th and 175 Common Goldeneyes on December 13th.
1999 Norton Bog restoration (not coal recovery) starts with the Slurry Pool an integral part of the scheme.  Work starts on a Cycle Path around the Country Park.  Heathland management work on the north shore (conifers removed).  First confirmed sighting of Ring-billed Gull on February 14th.   Water levels are lowered to allow repair work on the dam.
2000 The building of the Forest of Mercia Innovation Centre starts along with Phase 1 of the south shore development.  The Cycle Path, Chasewater Heaths Station and Phase 2 of the Burntwood By-pass are under construction.  Heathland management clears scrub from the North Bog.
2001 Foot and Mouth disease at Bleakhouse Farm; all footpaths are closed from March until June.  Motorway construction starts.  Molinia grassland and heath is translocated from the site of the service station in Norton Canes to north of the dam.  Male Keeled Skimmer and 53 flowering Round-leaved Wintergreens are discovered in the North Bog.   A Horned Lark is found on December 9th.
2002 The Horned Lark is relocated on January 4th and 5th.  A White Stork and Rosy Starling are unexpected visitors to the area in June.  Burntwood Rugby Club’s new centre opens.
2003 Heathland management continues on the north shore.  Low water-levels allow maintenance work on the dam and for Phase 2 of the south shore ‘restructuring’ to be completed.  M6 Toll opens in December.  1204 Tufted Ducks on October 1st.
2004 575 Great Black-backed Gulls on January 6th, five Waxwings on January 26th and a Yellow-browed Warbler in February.  Launch of Chasewater Wildlife Group website.
2005 Chasewater Wildlife Group to celebrate its 10th birthday

References and Links:
www.bhills-history.fsnet.co.uk/canals.htm#CHASEWATER
http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/archive/chasewater-48.htm
The Chasewater Railway Web Site
http://www.chasesc.org.uk/cwh.htm
http://members.lycos.co.uk/brownhillspast/wyrley&essington.html
http://members.lycos.co.uk/brownhillspast/anglesey.html

© Graham Evans and Chasewater Wildlife Group 2004